Sports and cultural activities
Pleasure excursions (half-day, day or several days)
Discover Saint-Etienne’s region, one of the richest and most diverse region in France, halfway between the Alps and the French Riviera.
Different thematic trips are offered all the year round:Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival, Clermont-Ferrand Cathedral, Le Puy-en-Velay Medieval Festival, Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral, the Festival of Lights in Lyon, Wine Tasting in Bourgogne, Ski Outings… And even trips to Paris, the Palace of Versailles and the South of France.
Prices: from 5 to 100 Euros, according to destinations.
For example: French specialities like Crêpes or Bugnes, fancy dress parties for the Carnival, international cuisine, explore the hearty Saint-Etienne’s “Night”, petanque, etc
• Saint-Etienne offers a wide range of cultural attractions: about twenty movie theatres, a national auditorium and more than eight other auditoriums, an opera house, a Zenith Concert Hall, live music cafés, a Concert Hall for Current Music, various museums
(Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Arts and Industry), the Cité du Design with the International Design Biennial, the site of Le Corbusier – designed by the eponymous architect – which is unique in Europe, Festivals of Music, Theatre, Dance, Circus, etc. all the year round.
• Activities offered to CILEC students: cinema evenings in one of the twenty Saint-Etienne movie theatres, occasional screenings of French movies at the CILEC, music lessons proposed by Jean Monnet University, tours of the different museums, introduction to oenology and French cooking, photography workshop, recording of a radio program, participation in the CILEC newspaper, Petit Monde.
Prices: Most cultural activities are free but a contribution may be asked (for example for oenology).
• Many sports activities are available in Saint-Etienne: a golf course with the biggest golf practice range in Europe, several stretches of water to practice sailing, a stadium which plays host to many international and national football and rugby matches as well as international athletic events, many swimming pools, many hiking trails that you can also discover on a bicycle in summer and with snowshoes or cross-country ski in winter, several climbing areas and Via Ferrata, paragliding sites, etc.
• The University also offers a full range of weekly activities to the CILEC students: climbing, rowing, boxing, paragliding, golf, martial arts, swimming, football, basketball, handball, aerobics, dancing, tennis, volleyball, etc.
Prices: 20 Euros for one academic year (access to all sports with an extra charge for some specific sports such as paragliding, rowing or golf).
• The Sports Service proposes seasonal activities: ski outings, Via Ferrata, canyoning, climbing, etc.
You can discover our map ” Around CILEC “, and see all differents places to eat, make shopping, have a drink etc… around CILEC !